Saturday, October 23, 2004

Tumbling Dice/Exile on Nowhere St.

Just got my CD of "Exile on Main Street" and it's as good as I remember it. I had a "Best of Exile" cassette take a suicide dive into a soda and that was a R&R comet gone down if I've ever seen one. I wondered how it would sound on digital and it's not too bad. A little cleaner, but there still is some of the trademark "murky" mix that makes this "album" so good. Currently listening to the first Stones song I ever heard-"Tumbling Dice". I was sitting in the backseat of my folks ever-so-glamorous and sleek Rambler crossing Nevada and it came on the radio. My ears instantly locked in on the infectious beat after the gliding intro of 3rds served up by Keith Richard. Charlie Watts really shines on the drums on this tune-his simple, but deadly fills into the perfectly placed crash cymbals really make this song. Oddly enough, I never really noticed that Mick Taylor, the fine lead player with them at the time, is playing bass on this...And the other Mick is playing some guitar. The background vocals on this by Clydie King, Venetta Fields and "friend" are so powerful-almost a full on gospel treatment.

Sometimes it pays to root for the underdog-I have to admit the historic come from behind ALCS win by the Red Sox was especially sweet!! For some reason, my son is a Red Sox fan even though he lives over 3 thousand miles away. So I decided to jump on the bandwagon. Not that I hate the Yankees, mind you, even though Steinbrenner is one of Satan's cronies thinking he can buy a world series victory year in, year out. Maybe he can buy the Red Sox next year...I did read that he's fired Babe Ruth's ghost, however!

Still pretty deep into the Black Mood #98. We get a yearly Permanent Fund check here in Alaska from interest off of invested oil income. I haven't seen a full check in over 8 years, now that I've dealt with the IRS and am current with child support I figured I'd see a full one. Wrong, the court in my ex's town took over 75% of it-I have no clue what for. So I'm pissed off again. People need a little incentive, a little hope. All I am is a plowhorse for my her to fleece. For those of you embarking on a musical career, have something that pays decent wages to fall back on. It's taken me 5 years to get to a liveable wage. Winter is about here, no snow yet, but the chill is in the air and I'm praying that this year will be better than last. I walked to work most of the time and it was frequently like traversing the North Col on Everest. I suppose my current bout of listlessness is due to continuing to question my place in life. I seem to be buried in a molasses-like sludge of complacency, I've been beaten down for so long it's almost what I expect. I see glimpses of light, then in a quicksilver second they're gone. I expect too much out of this life, so much "promise"...bah and f**king humbug. If anyone sees my sense of humor, tell it to send a postcard from wherever it is.

All work and no play makes Derek a dull boy
All work and no play makes Derek a dull boy
All work and no play makes Derek a dull boy
All work and no play makes Derek a dull boy
All work and no play makes Derek a dull boy
All work and no play makes Derek a dull boy

-----whooo, I'm exhausted--Derek zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home